The ideal time for a Bowen Therapy session is immediately after an injury. That way, your body can overcome the trauma before it begins to compensate for it (which often creates more problems in the long run than the initial trauma itself). If you can’t get to a Bowen Therapist immediately, the sooner you can, the better. Within three days is ideal for the quickest and most complete recovery. Many people don’t find out about Bowen Therapy weeks, months, or even years after trying other approaches or “learning to live with it.”
You will get the best results from your Bowen Therapy if you:
- Don’t have any other forms of bodywork (e.g. massage, acupuncture, chiropractic or physiotherapy) for at least five days beforehand (and a week after the treatment).
- Avoid heavy exercise on the day of your session.
- Don’t use ice or heat on the site of injury.
HOW MANY SESSIONS AND HOW OFTEN?
After your initial treatment, the next session is best scheduled between 5-10 days, but a break of 7 days is ideal. Pregnant women with back pain may have treatments more frequently, as needed. Most conditions are effectively and lastingly treated in 3-5 sessions. Some chronic conditions or old injuries may require ongoing sessions. Many people choose to have monthly or quarterly maintenance sessions (‘tune-ups’). You do not need to feel unwell to benefit from Bowen Therapy. There can be dysfunctions and imbalances within the body that one is not even aware of until symptoms develop. Bowen Therapy helps the body to function at its best and can help prevent new problems from developing.
Bowen Therapy encourages proper functioning of all body systems, including those responsible for getting rid of toxins.
If your body has stored unnecessary materials, you may experience one or more of these detoxification symptoms after a Bowen Therapy session:
• Aching muscles
• Mild nausea
• Mild headache
• Changes in sensation of temperature
• Minor changes in elimination
Your body will function more effectively when the toxins have been released. During the detoxification, the best way to minimize discomfort is stimulate the lymphatic system to increase the elimination of toxins. You can do this by:
• Increasing your water intake, and taking distilled water instead of just filtered water (for 1-2 days only)
• Walking 30 minutes each day in fresh air